The challenge of being different and of fighting for a better world
My Achievements & How the Program Changed My Life
Experience of the Program
When I joined the 24 Months Fighting with the Poor and Pedagogy program I wanted to go to Africa, mainly to understand why the world was like it was and no one was able to change it.
Africa was one year training far from me. The first thing I got to understand was that at DRH Lindersvold, as in life, people are coming and going and if I get too attached I suffer. So, I decided to live everyday fully in order to not to have reasons to regret in the future. This program gave me the opportunity to do a thousand million things because I managed to put all my heart in everything:
- Working one year with the guys from a care home for adults over the age of 18
- To travel with the guys to Barcelona and Paris
- To be in the audience of the Autumn Concert
- To organize the Olympic Games (an annual sports event)
- To get inspired by the different music groups that participated in the Winter Concert
- To fundraise on the streets with my team
- To paint many walls at other schools with my trio and gain the respect of the headmasters
- To travel inside Denmark
- To do countless nightshifts and anyway being awake for morning cleaning
- To travel around nine countries in Africa: Mozambique, Swaziland, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi and Zimbabwe
- To meet truly amazing people along the way that made me feel so proud of the privilege of being with them
- To observe the growth of my 42 Mozambican students in their path to become teachers. They will have an impact in their country’s future
- To travel to Sweden, Estonia, Latvia and Greece to share with others the knowledge acquired in Africa
- To be part of my team: Roger, Mari-liis, Cecilia, Denis and include also Antonio, Ilze, Ermes and Cissé from another team. Together we managed to overcome every obstacle and take the most out of it.
And now there’s no way back. These two years helped me to find my path and many tools to succeed. I don’t want any normal life anymore. I’ve accepted the challenge of being different and of fighting for a better world – more natural, more humanized and more simple!
It will be tough but without work and effort anything can be achieved.”
By Ana Marinho from Portugal